Friday 6 August 2010

My Advanced Flexibility course

I today completed my Advanced Flexibility course which further expands on my qualifications. It was an educational and fun packed day. The course was run by Scott Burton, one of the senior lecturers at WABBA Qualifications. I first met Scott back in 2004 when I did my initial qualifications. His lessons are informative and incorporate a lot of practical lessons to improve the learning process.

I would highly recommend a WABBA course to anyone who is thinking of becoming a personal trainer, their standards are very high and I believe you will learn a lot more from a WABBA course compared to some of the other training providers on the market. Please visit their website for more information- www.wabba.co.uk

One very interesting piece of information i learned today is that once you stretch a muscle to a new range a motion, the benefits only last 11 hours, after which the muscle will return to its original length. So if you are trying to improve your flexibility in a specific are you need to stretch that muscle at least twice a day to see a noticeable improvement. I have unconsciously been doing this with my own flexibility as I practice a stretching routine in the morning upon waking then stretch again after I train in the afternoon.

* Flexibility is an important part of the training as it increases a muscles range of motion which allows for more space inside the muscle to grow.

* It also reduces the soreness post workout (have you ever forgotten to stretch and felt agony the next day?).

* Posture will also be improved if a stretching routine focuses on the tight muscles that are pulling the body out of alignment.

Flexibility is similar to strength in that it takes time to develop it and then plenty of work to maintain it.

Get stretching today.

2 comments:

  1. Did you find out anything about the length of time for a stretch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds and repeat the stretch for 3-5 sets.

    Don't try and force the muscle to its maximum length from the beginning but instead gradually work on increasing the range of motion each set.

    ReplyDelete