Wednesday 2 June 2010

FAME London 2010 - Contest Writeup

The weekend is over and the FAME UK Championship show passes for another year.

Results

In first place in the mens bodybuilding was Halle Strebl, a former runner up in the Mr Europe, Mr Austria and Mr Fitness.



Second Place went to Ivan Byekwaso, the 2009 Mr Uganda national champion.



Third place went to Lazaro Almenares, a long time competitor- Mr. Titan (3rd), The BNBF Central (3rd), BNBF South (1st), NPA (1st), BNBF Final (5th in best body condition and best abs) and the NPA Finals (4th).



Peak weak diet

The food I ate the week leading up to the show worked well. I cycled my calories up and down through out he week to see how my body responded and filled out. I made sure my sodium intake was 2-2.5grams per day and I was drinking 7.5 litres of water a day. On the day of the show the sodium was cut back and my water intake was halved. This allowed my body to ‘dry out’ while still helping the muscles to remain full.

Condition





I was very happy with how my physique looked. My condition was good, I was tight and dry from the back and my muscles were full from the front. I would like to focus on the next show on getting just a little bit leaner, achieving that paper thin skin look and hopefully getting some more striations in the muscles going.

I also leaned some good tips in regard to packing my bags and food for the show. Using a small suitcase with wheels on the Sunday helped immensely as I didn’t have to carry everything around and I could save my energy better for when I was up on stage.

Tan

My tan on day 1 was a bit too light. I Used Dream tan. I applied colour only when I got to the show which in hindsight I think was a mistake.

On the 2nd day I applied extra coat of tan in the morning before travelling back to the show then had it touched up when I was there getting ready to pump up and go on stage. This blended in with the tan which was still there from the 1st day (I didn’t wash it off) I think my colour was a lot better and darker because of this but I still think it can be improved.

On my next show I intend on getting a base tan using either a self tanner or a spray tan then using a competition colour on top. I will also have some posing oil to hand to provide a finishing sheen if I feel I need it on the day of the show. For this next show I will be Using Jan Tana products as Dream tan has been banned by the BNBF due to people abusing it and making a mess of the venue.

Pump Up



Initially on the 1st day I was having trouble achieving a good ‘pump’ in my muscles. What I did to rectify this was to go into my contest ‘tool box’ and I consumed a couple of muffins and a snickers bar. The sugars from this food almost immediately helped me start to pump up better and my muscles by the time I got on stage were feeling hard and full.

I also learned some good techniques on pumping up the right muscle groups. I rotated the muscles of my upper body, focusing on my shoulders, chest arms and back. I tried to maintain a good amount of blood flowing through these muscles as I waited to go on stage. I pumped up for about 15-20 min’s. I did not pump up the legs as this tends to ruin the definition in them and hide the separation between the muscle groups.

Posing



I was overall pretty happy with my posing although there is always room for improvements. I was particularly happy with my front lat spread, my back lat spread, back double biceps side tricep and abdominal shots. I realise that I need more size in my arms, upper chest and shoulders to balance out some of my other poses and this will be addressed post contest vigorously!

My individual 90 second posing routine went well and the music was popular to the audience. I posed to 'Killing in the Name of' by Rage Against the Machine. I will practice some more variations of the mandatory poses to incorporate into my posing routine for the next show.

Other competitors

The guys I met on the day were all fantastic. There was a real camaraderie and everyone was happy to share weights and help each other when pumping up. The competition was stiff and there were some exceptional physiques on stage. There was no weight, height or experience categories in this show so all the bodybuilders were thrown in together. The top finishers were all former champions or close runners up in national championships.

With more time I will make improvements to my own physique that will make me more comparable. Bodybuilding is a game of consistency, patience and perseverance. Many competitors do not reach the peak of their physiques until they are in there 40’s.

The Show

I enjoyed the show, the organisers and judges were nice people.

What I did feel though is that that the organisation at times was quite chaotic and that there could have been more communication between athletes and stage controllers.

On day 2 there was a point where I was told that there was 2 more rounds of other competitors before us bodybuilders were due to go on stage (approx 15-20 min’s). This rapidly changed however and we were then given 60 seconds notice that we were going on. Because of this last minute change I didn’t have any time to eat my pre-pump up food and perform a proper pump up. Thankfully my body responded when I got on stage and I pumped up more as I hit my poses.

I understand that the fact that we were sharing time on stage in between the Worlds Strongest Man Competition gave the organisers time constraints but I feel that this could have been handled and planned for better. Hopefully this will be addressed for future FAME competitions.

I also feel that there needs to be an inclusion of either weight categories or height classes in future shows. It’s pretty hard to compare to someone who is over 6 foot and outweighs you by 30+ kilo’s.

Verdict

Overall the competition was a fantastic experience. I met some wonderful people, achieved my own goals of looking the best I’ve ever been and learned some valuable lessons that will help me for my next show in 3 weeks in Bognor Regis and any future shows.


Goals for the next show

* Get even leaner and drier for the next show, I’m shooting for the paper thin skin look.
* Improve my contest colour
* Use the lessons in regards to packing my bags better to my advantage

How I will place all depends on who shows up on the day of the show. I will look even better than before and if the judges like what they see then maybe I might be rewarded with a better placing.

The main goal is to improve me for me. I do not base my ego on judges subjective opinions so will not be hurt or disappointed if I don’t place as high as maybe I deserve. For me I enjoy the whole process of natural bodybuilding. The training, the diet, the healthy lifestyle all constitutes an important part.
Don’t get me wrong, I do train to win for the competitions but I view them as a fun challenge and don’t get too hung up on the results.

Thanks

I would like to thank my friends and family who came to support me at the show, especially my beautiful girlfriend. I also bumped into several of you guys from the gym so thank you for coming.

I intend to get buy the professional photos and video so I will post these up when I get my hands on them.

For more photos please go here-

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv336/mfitness81/Fame%202010%20Bodybuilding%20Show/





The next show is on the 20th of June in Bognor Regis!

1 comment: